Creating a Rhythm Patch
Activity / Exercise 1
Finish drawing the movement patterns lines that have been used to make the beginning of these songs which you probably know.
Activity / Exercise 2
1. Here is a movement line pattern of 4 beats.
2. Here is another pattern of 4 beats.
3. Here they are bent into 2 squares of a 4 beat conducting pattern.
Starting a Rhythms Patch with Words
Activity / Exercise 3
Your turn to try. The time signature is
1. Draw a line pattern of 4 beats.
2. Add another line pattern of 4 beats.
3. Draw them bent into 2 patterns of 4 beats each (squares).
4. Think of words that use the same patterns of syllables.
Activity / Exercise 4
With a Time Signature of 4/4 try and draw the note- faces that a composer would use for notation.
You could re-write the words and draw the note-faces underneath the words.
- Think which note will be worth 1 beat or walk?
- If you used jogg-ing as a movement, think which 2 shorter notes would be used for jogg-ing?
- If you used juu-mmp as a movement, think of which longer note a composer would use?